Who doesn't love Christopher Walken?

Monday, April 1, 2013

Fair Weather People - Fans, Friends, Christians

We all know them, we all hate them.  The bandwagoners, the turncoats, the 'all-of-a-sudden-interested in sports' people.  Fair weather fans.  These are the people who are absolutely nowhere to be found during a  team's lull.  They may even talk a little trash if a team gets a win after a losing streak.  But bet your bottom dollar that if that team gets on a streak - look what the cat dragged out.  'Fans' come out of hiding holes not seen since 'Nam.

I'm posting this because my hometown has finally united because we have a team in the NCAA Final Four and it's only the second time in the school's history.  Is this something incredible?  Damn straight.  Am I going out and buying black and yellow everything, claiming to have supported them all season and talking about the team like I carry any weight or ownership?  Heeeellllllll no.

All over my social medias I see people who probably never even knew this team still existed starting to spontaneously care, buy all sorts of memorabilia, some have even gone as far as to set off some leftover fireworks.  I just couldn't take it anymore and had to say something and when I did, they called me cynical.  Now I work in retail, so that has some truth to it, but this is not the case.  I am beyond happy that this town finally has something to cheer about.  I will go to the bar and watch the game.  I will hope they go all the way.  But you won't see me out screaming like a jackass with a letter painted on my chest calling them "my team".

Occasional friends are the same way.  When things are going well, they're always around.  Then you hit a rough patch.  It could be because of money, a relationship, your job - but they sense trouble and hit the bricks.  Once they see you've gathered yourself they'll come back around.  It's kind of a crummy deal, but some people thrive on dysfunctional relationships oddly enough.

Fair weather Christians really strike close to home with me.  I grew up Catholic.  That means private education K-12, and yes....it was a nightmare, but a good education.  I was recently in an argument with a woman claiming to be Catholic, over the issue of gay marriage.  She was using the typical "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve", Bible this, Jesus that approach.  This woman is unmarried, in an on/off relationship with a man and they have two children together.  If you're going to claim a faith I believe it is your obligation to follow the teachings rather than disobey and use confession to wash your hands of your past.

Catholics/Christians are also obligated to attend Mass once a week, preferably on Sunday.  I was told in school "If you somehow manage to miss Mass every single week of the year, the ONE service you MUST go to is Easter service."  No.  Just, no.  Claiming a belief system means you accept its rules without amendments.  If someone tells me "I'm Catholic buuuttt......".  No.  You can't Bible.  I live within walking distance of two or three churches.  I almost got in multiple wrecks yesterday from all the idiot drivers rushing to get their Jesus fix for the year.  These churches haven't been this busy even on Christmas.

Your team sucks this year?  Who cares.  Your friend is having a hard time?  Talk to them.  Buy them a beer.  The Bible doesn't agree with your lifestyle?  It's not for you.  If you're going to claim something, do it right.  Don't avoid it in company because you're embarrassed or ashamed, be there for people close to you and practice what you preach.  All that jazz.

Kiss kiss - bang bang,

Mr. Two

No comments:

Post a Comment